The practice was born and grown around the greater Natal region, where it was responsible for the railways buildings and stations from Durban to Pietermaritzburg. Many of them, including the original Durban Station building, still stand today as fine examples of the practices contribution to the architectural fabric in the province.
The calibre of architecture led to commissions for many significant buildings including the Pietermaritzburg City Hall, Durban's Emanuel Cathedral, the Greenacres Building, Durban Country Club and many of Durbans elite homes on the Berea and further afield. By the 1940's the practice had been documented in J Perree Masters of Architecture dissertation (1996) and many of the drawings are kept in the Barrie Bierman library at the School of Architecture UKZN.
During the late 1980's, Paton Taylor Architects were responsible for numerous developments such as the Royal Hotel (Durban), EG Malherbe Library (UKZN), Marriott - KPMG Head Offices (Durban), Natal Tecnikon - Berea Road campus, Beacon Sweets factories, country wide, as well as notable buildings that included the Durban Reserve bank and the NBS Kingsmead Head Office.
The current directors are conscious that they are merely bearers of the 130 year old baton of legacy carefully envisioned and started by William Street-Wilson. The practice is committed to the highest level of architecture, not only within their offices, but also in participating in the development of the future architects of the region.
Level 2, Stadium Building
Lion Match Office Park
892 Umgeni Road,
Durban, KwaZulu-Natal 4001, ZA
t: +27(0) 31 313 1070